Saturday, June 21, 2014

Lite up the Nite

I ran my first 5K of the year Thursday night.  I was a bit nervous about it since it was at night, because I run in the mornings and it's much easier in my opinion.  I found after I signed up that it was a trail race, which I've never done.  I was also really excited.  I had an awesome cheering squad.  Love my family for being so supportive and encouraging.  I also had some great friends who were very supportive and encouraging.

So we set off, straight up a hill, and up another hill.  75%, if not more of this trail run was on dirt, gravel, rocks, grass, and up hills, steep hills.  It was killer.  I walked at least a mile of it in between running spurts.  It was beyond hard and exhausting.  As a matter of fact, had I known how hard it was going to be, I don't think I would have signed up for it, but I'm glad I did.  It was a good challenge and now I have my hardest race behind for the year.  My time was 35:15.  I was so hoping to complete it in 31 minutes as I had all week, but I was pleased with my time considering how very challenging this race was.

My husband and kids were awesome cheerleaders and I appreciated it SO very much.  A lady running by me even commented that they were inspiring her:)

Before the race with my cheerleaders

Here we go!

We weren't even into it 5 minutes here, and my calves were killing me from the hills!

I've never been so happy to see a finish line:)  I will definitely have to get in better shape before I ever think about doing a trail race again!

My biggest fan and our baby:)  So happy it was O.v.E.r

My good friend works for the place that put the race together.  It was called Lite up the Nite, to support mental health.  My good friend was the one who asked me to do it, and after I signed up informed me that it was a trail run and you couldn't use earphones:(  Love you Jenn:)

2 comments:

Julie Loftin said...

Great job!!! Sounds extremely hard but also fun :). Love the last picture!

Unknown said...

You inspire me!!! Way to go I'm so proud of you!!!!!